The Phoenix Theatre Company is the oldest professional theatre located in Phoenix, Arizona (1825 N Central Ave) and one of the oldest continuously operating arts institution in the country.
Phoenix Theatre is an integral part of the state’s culture that provides programming for all ages. The company creates unique performances that inspire hope and understanding. They value theatre as a place where all people are welcomed, regardless of race, orientation or color.
The Phoenix Theatre Company has about 500 performances and accepts over 100,000 visitors every year. The doors open at noon (12:00 pm) for matinee performances and at 5:00 pm for evening performances.
A Bit of History
The company was originally founded as the Phoenix Players in 1920. They performed in a variety of institutions including schools and backyards but needed a permanent special theatre space. In 1924, the company got a new name – Phoenix Little Theatre – and settled down in the old coach house on Central and McDowell.
In 1952, the reconstruction of the building was initiated by Board President Stephen Shadegg. In 1993, the company got its final name – The Phoenix Theatre Company. It was already a renovative space that offered a wide variety of theatre programs, many of which still operate today.
In 2013, the theatre experienced the most significant expansion of a performing arts facility. They added additional rehearsal spaces, a glass atrium lobby, a black box theatre, etc. These renovations enhanced the company’s ability to realize its creative vision, expand services, and exceed visitors’ expectations by delivering an unforgettable experience.
Today, Phoenix Theatre remains a space for experimental theatre and world premieres.
The major programs of the theatre include:
- Theatre for Young Audiences (youth and families);
- Mainstage (adult audiences);
- Hormel Festival of New Plays and Musicals (staged readings of new works, workshops in playwriting, etc.)
- Education (programs developed with or for other organizations).
Ways to save
The Phoenix Theatre Company offers many ways to save:
- Season Tickets – Purchase one of the season ticket packages and you will be able to save year-round;
- Student Rush – A $15 discount for all students of schools, high schools, or colleges;
- Ambassador Tix – Adults under 40 can get tickets for all performances Tuesday-Friday only for $29;
- Veterans – All veterans can get a ticket with a $5 discount;
- Phoenix Art Museum visitors – a $10 discount on an upcoming production upon presenting your recent Phoenix Art Museum Adult General Admission ticket stub. Museum members can also present their Member ID and get a $20 discount on their tickets;
- The Art Card – A discount for those currently working in the theatre.
If you want to see all upcoming performances, get more information about available discounts or buy tickets, please visit www.phoenixtheatre.com.